(2 minutes read)
Need a niche? Sometimes, you can find them in the most unlikely places.
In fact, your own refrigerator could hold the key to profits.
There are eggs in there, I'll bet.
And probably chicken, turkey, or both.
The eggs and poultry meat in your fridge most likely came from a big battery farm.
But recently, a lot of people have started bringing egg and meat production right into their own backyards.
Backyard chickens are surprisingly popular.
Not only is it an interesting hobby, but it's also a way to avoid supporting factory farms, where animals are kept in conditions that aren't always humane.
As more and more people get into keeping chickens, there's a growing market for information and products revolving around backyard poultry.
This is a great opportunity for entrepreneurs — a niche that's currently growing, doesn't have a lot of competition yet, and involves a lot of money.
In a recent blog post, Nichehacks offers some data about this market.
Market Size & Worth
- Chicken and turkey meat production is a $33 billion industry in the US alone with a growth of 0.1% per annum. It employs 60544 people in 53039 businesses
- Egg and poultry wholesaling is an $11 billion market in the US with a growth of 0.3% per annum. It employs 10939 people in 610 businesses
- Chicken Egg production is an $14 billion market in the US with a negative growth of 0.3% per annum. It employs 143740 people in 132549 businesses
- 75 billion eggs are produced annual in the US
- There are 280 million egg laying chickens in the US
- The time to recoup costs of urban chicken farming is around 2.5 years
- A chicken coops can range from as low as $100 to $4000
- A hen usually lays eggs 4 years of its life
- The top egg producer in the U.S., Cal-Maine Foods, housed 34.2 million layers (chickens that lay eggs) in 2014.
- Most female chicken farmers are aged between 40 and 59 years old.
- 37% of farmers do not keep chickens more than 5 years.
- 32% keep chickens for less than 2 years.
- More than 50% of chicken farmers only have a “fair” amount of knowledge and expertise.
- 95% of chicken farmers keep chickens for either meat or eggs or both.
- 50% of backyard farmers keep their chickens free-ranged
Keyword Avg Monthly Searches Backyard chickens 23,000 Raising chickens 7,600 How to raise chickens 4,700 Best backyard chickens 1,400 Raising backyard chickens 1,100
The table above shows the monthly searches on Google for this niche.
Combined they add up to an over 350,000 searches a month and that's not including the thousands of long tail keywords that we haven't covered.
This is a huge niche with a lot of demand.
Google.com urban chicken facebook chickens for sale in raleigh nc urban chicken restaurant urban chicken delivery sumner byrd farm inc holly springs nc chickens for sale in eastern nc urban chicken beer little birdie chicken farm and hatchery wake forest,
If you're looking for a goose that lays golden eggs, look no further than backyard poultry.
There's a lot of profit to be made there.
You can get more data and details about this niche in the full blog post from Nichehacks.
Build your own Passive Income-Generating business in this new 10-day challenge!
Join us and participate to get the Tools, Training, and Support you need to produce predictable, passive income. It's easy!