Writing powerful copy is a almost a form of art mixed with science. It requires a sense of beauty and style along with some unique creativity depending on the type of copy you are trying to master. This will help you stand out from a crowd on already overly saturated topics by offering a solution or a different point of view that has not yet been provided.
Here are 10 examples of different techniques to tackle in order to master powerful copywriting:
1. Plain copy: The most basic approach to writing effective copy is to simply introduce the product without gimmick or style. It’s a simple presentation of the facts and benefits. There is no story. There is no conversation. There is no “sizzle” and no superlative claims.
2. Storytelling copy: We like hearing about people — especially interesting people. People who’ve suffered challenges we can relate to, and can tell us how they overcame those challenges. And the moral of the story, coincidentally, is that your product was the catalyst to overcoming those odds. Your story doesn’t have to be dramatic. It just has to be interesting to your target audience. And this is where good research comes in.
3. Conversational copy: In this style of copy, you write as if there is a conversation between two people: the copywriter and the prospect. The language here would be no different than a salesman sitting down for lunch with a customer and talking through a sales presentation.
4. John Lennon copy:When John Lennon asked us to imagine there was no heaven or hell, no countries, religion or war, he was using an effective tool of persuasion: imaginative copy. As an advertiser, you can ask your target audience to imagine a painless way to lose weight, or what it would feel like to be a successful travel writer.
5. Long copy: The fundamental premise behind long copy is “The more you tell, the more you sell.” Ads that are long on facts and benefits will convert well. Why? Unlike a face-to-face conversation with a salesperson, a written ad has only one chance to convert a reader. If you get in front of the reader, you’ve got to lay it all out on the table.
6. Killer poet copy: Our goal isn’t to convince our audience that we’re smart — it’s educating and selling with our copy. In other words, the killer poet combines style with selling. Creativity with marketing. Story with solution.
7. Direct-from-CEO copy: It’s a known fact — third-party endorsements can help you sell products. But it’s equally effective to position your selling argument as a direct communication between the company founder and his or her customer.
8. Frank copy: Some copy will explain the ugly truth about the product. This approach doesn’t start with the jewels of your goods — it’s going to start with the warts. And here’s a curious thing: when you are honest and transparent about product weaknesses, the customer trusts you. When the reader trusts you, they will be considerably more likely to believe you when you point out the good qualities of your product.
9. Superlative copy:There are also times when you can make outlandish claims. But you can only make extraordinary claims when you have the proof to back it up. The evidence can be in statistics, testimonials, or research — or preferably all three.
10. Rejection copy: Rejection copy turns conventional wisdom on its head and tries to discourage people from being interested in your product. This type of copy is a direct challenge to the reader that leverages the velvet rope approach — the idea that only an exclusive set of people are invited to use a product. The American Express Black Card is a good example here — this card is reserved for the world’s wealthiest and most elite. The only way you can get your hands on one is if you are invited.
Do you feel that there is any other specific type of copy that we didn’t mention that is super effective when trying to sell a product or service?
INSTANT REPLAY CASE STUDY:
Discover the 2-step formula he used to make $13,390 without selling a SINGLE thing!
No, seriously. We’ll walk through this case study and show his exact strategy, PLUS demonstrate this powerful technique by making money right before your eyes!