For entrepreneurs and marketers, Reddit can have a lot of value.
It’s a great place for market research, and a relevant subreddit’s recent posts can tell you a lot about what your target audience wants and needs.
It can also be a place to promote your content and drive traffic, although doing so is challenging because the community doesn’t respond well to blatant self-promotion and obvious advertising.
If you can provide some genuine value, you can get a lot of eyes on your brand.
But what a lot of people overlook is Reddit’s paid advertising options. Reddit has several different kinds of ads: link ads, text ads, and display ads.
A display ad on Reddit is quite costly, so for smaller companies, it’s probably out of reach.
But their link and text ads can be very affordable, and the nature of the website makes it predisposed to well-planned audience targeting.
In a recent blog post, Hootsuite explains how to start advertising on Reddit in just a few simple steps.
How to advertise on Reddit
1. Set up your first campaign
To get started, sign into Reddit’s campaign management tool. You’ll need:
- A reddit account
- Ad copy (headline)
- Thumbnail image (140×140 maximum)
- Mobile card view image (1200×628)
Once you’re signed in, go ahead and name your campaign.
2. Choose your audience
At this point in the game, you should have created marketing personas.
With your target audience in mind, Reddit ads allow you to narrow down your search using several parameters:
- Platforms (desktop and mobile web)
- Mobile devices (Android or iOS)
- Advanced time of day targeting
3. Set your budget
You can set a daily maximum budget or a total campaign budget. Reddit ads are priced by cost per thousand impressions (CPM), meaning you pay X amount for every 1,000 impressions.
4. Choose your creative
At this point, you’re ready to create and submit your ad for approval.
Here are the last few steps to create your ad:
- Choose the type of ad— Choose between a link ad or text ad. You also have the option to enable comments for your ad.
- Enter your headline—Keep it to 100 characters, and without excessive use of capitalizations and symbols.
- Upload your images—Upload an image for desktop, mobile site, and mobile devices in card view.
- Name your creative—This won’t be shown to users. This is for you to keep track of your ads.
- Submit for approval—Reddit will take up to 24 hours to review your ad before it goes live.
To learn more about Reddit ads, check out the full post over at Hootsuite,