Over the last few years we have seen a trend of an increase among mobile shoppers. Being able to compare prices, shop and even contact the store directly from the same search on your mobile phone is just so convenient. Due to the simple reason above you would be a fool to not take advantage of mobile online advertising.
Ipsos and Google provided these percentages below to show the increase of money spent by mobile shoppers just last year alone:
- 80 percent of smartphone shoppers used them more frequently this year
- 35 percent spent more money on their smartphones this season
- 70 percent of tablet shoppers used them more frequently this year
- 38 percent spent more money on their tablets this season
This increase has directly impacted the sales funnel which means you need to make changes now to take advantage of this new shopping trend by applying the following to your PPC campaigns:
- Be present in the channel by creating mobile-only campaigns. At the beginning, a common recommendation was to copy the desktop versions of campaigns and use them for mobile. We now know that mobile searches are different. They contain a shorter number of words per keyword phrase and often have a local modifier such as “toy stores Chicago.” Use the AdWords keyword tool, under Advanced options and filters. You will see the option to explore keywords for mobile devices.
- Consider timing on budget. According to Google data, 44 percent of total searches were for last-minute gifts and store locator terms were from mobile devices in 2011. This is a good reason to review budgets and ensure that they are maximized during this time period to capture all relevant traffic. Utilize location extensions in PPC for search results to drive last-minute shoppers to stores. Last-minute gift-oriented keywords will help to seal the deal.
- Shopper motivations. Last year, shoppers were motivated by discount promotions. Free shipping, coupons, and flexible payment plans influenced holiday purchasing. In fact, according to the study, not only did free shipping incentivize shoppers, they expected it. Fifty-five percent of consumers expected free shipping during the holiday season. Use these promotions in creative ways, across placements, and consistently in ad copy. Utilize sitelinks in PPC to change out promotional language more quickly (by applying sitelinks to multiple ads).
- Use multiple ad placements and formats. We know that shoppers are demonstrating a variety of behavior online on mobile devices from research and reviews up to the conversion. Ensure that advertising is present in search as well as websites and mobile apps. Ad formats for placements can vary, so explore text, image, and video ads.
It is also imperative that you make sure you are covering search engines, mobile display networks, mobile apps, and YouTube when deciding on your ad placements. With mobile being so convenient it will continue to grow and will dominate the future of shopping in general. It become quite clear when you just consider how these devices are used to shop, compare and make purchases on what you should be doing to take advantage of these kind of sales.
One last note, always test your mobile ads and store on every single device you can get your hands on so you know you are not missing out on any potential sales or traffic.
Can you share any other tips below that should be followed when optimizing your mobile online advertising campaign?
Build your own Passive Income-Generating business in this new 10-day challenge!
Join us and participate to get the Tools, Training, and Support you need to produce predictable, passive income. It's easy!