Writing copy is fine art that takes time to master.
It’s not identical with other forms of writing; writing copy is quite distinct from writing something like a thesis paper, a blog post, or a Facebook post.
Copywriting is fundamentally persuasive writing, in a really big way.
You need to create something with language so powerful, it compels someone to take action.
That “action” could be buying a product, subscribing to your newsletter, signing up for a free trial, or something completely different.
What matters is that you can persuade people to do something.
That’s a powerful skill to cultivate, and it’s something solopreneurs should definitely explore.
The truth is that even if you’re a great writer, it doesn’t mean you’re a good copywriter.
At least, not yet.
But with the right attitude and the right resources, just about anyone can learn to write killer copy that makes the sale every time.
In a recent blog post, SEO SaaS company Ahrefs rounded up the very best online articles in a bunch of different categories.
Here are their top 5 for copywriting.
CopywritingCopywriting is essentially moving words around to sell better
So, let’s assume you have a sales page whereby, on average, you make 1 sale per 100 visitors (i.e. 1% CR).
It may be the case that by rewriting, restructuring, and/or adding/removing content from that sales page, you’re able to make 2 sales per 100 visitors, effectively doubling your conversion rate.
This is the job of a copywriter.
Remember, attracting a ton of traffic is all well and good but if you can’t convert that traffic into paying customers, well, you have no business.
Here are our top five copywriting-related posts:
- 6 Steps for Writing Simple Copy That Sells by Aaron Orendorff for Copyblogger;
- 10 Sure-Fire Headline Formulas That Work by Brian Clark for Copyblogger;
- SEO Copywriting: How to Bootstrap a Website with This Ultra-Efficient Writing Systemby Perrin Carrell for Authority Hacker;
- The Definitive Guide to Copywriting by Neil Patel&Joseph Putnam for QuickSprout;
- 7 Scientifically-Backed Copywriting Tips by Gregory Ciotti for Copyblogger;SIDENOTE.
Want more? Here’s a spreadsheet with all 10 nominations (plus a few extras).