What if I told you there was a niche out there with over $22 billion dollars in potential?
“Sure,” you’re probably thinking. “There are quite a few of those.”
But what if I also told you that this niche offers more than just low competition and massive profits?
It’s a chance to do some good in the world.
The niche we’re talking about here is addiction recovery.
You’ve probably heard about the ongoing heroin epidemic in the United States. Millions of people are struggling with what might just be the most addictive and life-destroying drug that there is.
Drug addiction is a terrible affliction that’s frighteningly common.
It’s also a potentially profitable niche that savvy affiliate marketers have only begun to explore. Even better, this is a niche that gives you a rare opportunity to truly make a gigantic impact on people’s lives.
But don’t take our word for it. NicheHacks has some hard data to back this up.
Market Size & Worth
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration estimates that the market for addiction treatment is about $35 billion per year.
- In 2009, the United States spent $24.3 billion on addiction treatment. Public payers accounted for the vast majority of spending (69%) at $16.7 billion, while private payers (including private insurance, out-of-pocket spending, and other private spending) accounted for 31% ($7.6 billion).
- In 2012, there were an estimated 22.2 million persons classified with substance dependence or abuse in the past year, but only 10.8% of these individuals (or 2.5 million) received treatment for their substance dependence or abuse in a specialty facility (defined as hospital inpatient, drug or alcohol rehabilitation, or mental health centers).
- In 2015, American Addiction Centers reported revenue of over 212 million dollars.
- The annual spending on addition is $166 billion, $157 billion, $110 billion, $107 billion, $40 billion and $18 billion on alcohol, smoking, drugs, over eating, gambling and addiction rehab respectively.
Source: forbes, openminds, statista, statisticbrain
- The National Council on Alcoholism and Drug Dependency estimates that over 23 million Americans (age 12 and older) are addicted to alcohol and other drugs.
- According to the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA), just under 11% (2.5 million) received care at an addiction treatment facility in 2012.
- In 2015, American Addiction Centers had 7,763 residential admissions, an increase from 2,934 in 2012.
- 9% of students admitted using XANAX at some point in their lives.
- The use and abuse of illegal drugs remains a problem in all parts of the world, with an estimated 5.2 percent of the global population using illegal drugs in 2014.
- The number of people in the U.S. who used select illicit drugs in their lifetime varies by drug type, with an estimated 117 million people using marijuana at some point in their life and some 14.5 million using methamphetamine at some point.
- The number of people who consumed heroin during the past year in the United States has increased yearly since 2007, reaching a high since then of 681,000 in 2013.
Keyword Avg Monthly Searches drug addiction treatment 1,200 drug addiction definition 1,200 drug addiction statistics 1,200 drug addiction helpline 1000 drug addiction facts 800
The table above shows the monthly searches on Google for this niche.
Combined they add up to over 80,000 searches a month and that’s not including the thousands of long tail keywords that we haven’t covered.
This is a huge niche with a lot of demand.
Google.com drug addiction facts drug addiction definition drug addiction articles drug addiction treatment effects of drug addiction drug addiction statistics drug addiction wikipedia drug addiction essay
You can find out more about the growing addiction recovery market over at NicheHacks.