Does anyone still make New Years Resolutions and actually carry them out anymore? Regardless if you are one of the 10% of people who actually do follow through or the part of the larger offending percentage, everyone should always be open to advice.
Below are 51 Resolutions that would benefit any graphic or web designer’s career, year after year:
- Graphic Designers, Code your first web site
- Web designers, Design your first set of business cards, a logo, or a poster
- Design and Code your first wordpress theme
- Learn the basics of Photoshop and Illustrator
- Learn the principles of usability in any design setting.
- Get a twitter account if you don’t have one. (If you have one, you can follow me too. I know–shameless plug.)
- Try out some sort of new online social media.
- If you freelance, raise your rates.
- Find new and better ways to connect with clients (Google Voice, Google Wave, etc.)
- Study Typography more in depth and apply it in your designs
- Try a color scheme you have never even imagined
- If you are a freelancer, try an office job. If you are in the office, try freelancing.
- Get all the info you need from your client by asking the right questions
- Start a blog or write for other blogs
- Get involved in the online community
- Learn the basics of XHTML and CSS (web designers: learn something new–perhaps CSS3 or HTML5)
- Take up a new hobby that doesn’t involve design in any way
- Exercise the left side of your brain more (give the right side of your brain a rest)
- Learn the basics of copywriting
- Update your portfolio to meet industry standards
- If you don’t have an online portfolio, get one. If you don’t have a print portfolio, get one.
- Update your resume
- Do some volunteer design work
- Use at least one project to defy all the rules you have ever learned
- Break the mold of design (especially on the web)
- Take an extra class about design at a local university, college, or community school
- Teach a community class on design
- Give speeches at your local Chamber of Commerce (US) or other business organization in order to find clients and establish a reputation
- Learn more about some designers who created things before computers were popular
- Subscribe to top design blogs and frequently read from their feeds
- Follow top designers on twitter and interact with them
- Save for that dream computer you’ve always wanted
- Have the guts to buy it (see #32)
- Take on odd jobs that sound impossible or above your level of expertise. Then force yourself to be good enough
- Start your design process with good sketches and brainstorming
- Learn how to market yourself or your client via social media
- In your next meeting with a client, be a little more professional
- Really impress your clients–current and new
- Have confidence in your work. Show that confidence by bringing a contract to the first meeting
- Help someone rebuild or fortify their branding
- Redesign something just for fun
- Learn the basics of advertising and marketing
- Take time to be inspired
- Simplify your life and Simplify your design.
- Avoid logo design mistakes
- Be a little more patient with your most annoying clients
- Embrace Failure. Don’t be afraid to make mistakes or admit your don’t know something
- Clean your desktop off. No, Really.
- Go against the grain. Don’t follow design trends
- Sell something besides your services. Code a wp theme, write a book, etc.
- Organize your time and be more efficient
Hopefully you already have several of these tasks already marked off of your list but if you don’t for any reason you might want to copy these down. It is a great outline with over 50 tasks of things you can start doing today to ensure a long and successful graphic and web design career.
What can you add to this list in the comments below?
Attend Our Next FREE Amazon Ecommerce Live Training Session
Join our CEO, Bill McIntosh, for this free live online training session where he’ll reveal how you can apply a very simple, but powerful strategy that brings you incredibly quick profits with A strange Amazon Ecommerce strategy you’ve probably never seen before:
Secret Amazon Strategy Finally Revealed
Discover how to have products for sale on Amazon within 48 HOURS! And then go on to quickly & easily build an ecommerce empire selling on Amazon. We’ll reveal custom made SOFTWARE and TOOLS designed to help you build your business, choose the right products, get all the stats & build a sustainable & highly profitable business: